Abiding by ground rules enhances your personal and group experience. Discuss them with your members to see if you have their "buy-in" and their "sign-off" on #8 on page 147 of the Guides (see #8 below).
1. The Leader is a facilitator of discussion, guiding the group through questions rather than statements. He or she is responsible to prepare for and oversee group interaction and to help with outreach.
2. The Guide makes for a valuable personal study but is especially set up to help current and future leaders facilitate watching, study and discussion in one-to-one and small/large group settings.
3. Prior Preparation though not discouraged, is not expected. We do, however, have a Home Assignment to give you post-Study input.
4. Each Group Member “owns the group,” and is thus seen as a key contributor of comments and questions. Talkative members should defer to others and quiet members, speak out. The conversation engagement around the circle should look like a pinball machine!
5. Group Focus is controlled by its purpose. The Chosen Study allows the episode and Scripture passage to govern the discussion, rather than Bible commentaries or cross referencing. Tangents are to be avoided or at least “tabled,” until after the group meeting is over.
6. Personal Growth from studying Jesus is our ultimate goal. Such growth naturally includes a focus on humility and child-like faith.
7. Group Growth happens as friendships form and deepen. Members should see themselves as more than just a study group, but as a discipleship group where consistency, self-disclosure, empathy, accountability and reaching out to others are key characteristics.
8. Avoid making “guest appearances.” Don’t let stay-at-home feelings or distractions dictate whether you come. Commit to attend every meeting. Take this gathering seriously—for yourself and for others.
Fight “those feelings” and the distractions by signing this challenge:
Unless out-of-town or near death’s door,
I’ll be there!: _____________________________
The Jesus Study
1247 Villard St., Eugene, Oregon 97403
Life's most compelling story portrayed by its best depiction, creatively designed to enhance your life!